Thursday, April 16, 2015

I Suddenly and Painfully Get It

Mid life crisis can look very different for individuals.
There are of course traditional, stereo typed responses:
Buying a sports car
Toupees
Tattoos (Maybe it's a newer response)
Life career change
Divorce (sad)
Re-decorate home
Take classes, pottery, art, dancing, cooking, languages or who knows what.
Have a baby?

I don't know, stuff like that.

I have been doing a lot of research lately. It started innocently enough, we need a place to live.
But to get a place to live we have to know where we NEED to live.
To do that we need to know what we are supposed to do next, work at a church again? Something else?
What openings are available and where?
Who are they, what do they believe?
What is the area like? Cost of living? Bowen therapy licensing rules?
What other jobs could I do?

I KNOW! I will get a remote job! Yes! THEN I CAN STILL TAKE CARE OF MY FAMILY AND EARN MONEY SO THAT WE CAN AFFORD OUR OWN PLACE TO LIVE ! BRILLIANT!

Except most of the openings I am finding require a skill set I do not have, and apparently being a hipster is required too. Some sites are so into using trendy lingo that you can't tell what they actually do, but they do it with gusto and excellence. Well good for you guys! Job titles are things like Happiness Harnesser. Yes well, that's interesting, but what do you do? You can't even tell by the requirements...I appreciate that they are willing to look at people without specific degrees and years of experience, but at least those things would help me figure out what IS required! I am a fabulous customer service rep, is that what you are looking for?  Can't tell.

I had a rough time last week feeling more and more outmoded with each new website I researched.
I am not yet an empty nester, but it will happen in a couple years. I get it, I get what happens to these people. You have been focused, and all energy went to your family, and then you are ready to re-enter the work world,and bam, the technology, lingo and age range desired has left you in the dust. I am not very old either. I am educated, and tech literate, not a guru, but literate.I have skills people!

I am also frustrated.

No comments: