Wednesday, February 12, 2014

So, about that weather...

Since I last wrote it has rained, and rained, and rained....
This is good of course, but not perfect.
It rained so much all at once that it created a  lot of run off, and not necessarily filling up wells and springs underground. The water table and all that. Also, the rain coming now is warm, so warm that it won't snow in the upper altitude, and will probably melt the snowpack that now exists from last weeks storms.

I am not saying this storm was bad...it was amazing, I am so thankful,
but we are still in drought conditions.
With out the slow melting deep snowpack there still isn't the "right" amount of water later for the rest of the year. It's complicated I guess.

Still praying for more rain, and a colder storm to snow up on those hills of ours.

Unfortunately trees are blooming early too.
Hopefully my fruit trees don't bloom now only to wither and die due to a freeze.
I am sure farmers all over the area are praying the same thing.

So should you if you like fruit.

I am tempted to plant lettuce and other crops now, but the weather is so wishy washy I don't want to waste the money and seeds.
Perhaps if I had a greenhouse. I have seen amazing ones built from re-claimed windows. Others made from simple PVC and clear plastic.

So many projects, so little time.




No comments: