Monday, June 17, 2013

I Asked Nicely, and They Still Tried To Kill Me.

We visited my daughter yesterday for Father's day. It was a special treat to see her.  We enjoyed a day of laughing and some good food and game playing.

At the restaurant in town the chef personally came out when he saw the list of allergies I have. They aren't standard, like nuts, dairy or eggs, so it is unusual. He was very nice about it and made some alterations to fish tacos for me. They were excellent. So good. I highly suggest visiting the Pour House in Chico, Ca. They did not sponsor this blog in any way.

Later that night when we pulled out to head home Spencer was hungry, go figure. So we pulled into a Taco Bell for a small bite for him. I asked very specific questions about a simple "Cheesy Roll up". I asked different ways, and it sounded like my question was understood. I was told it was safe to eat. Just tortilla and melted cheese.


After one bite I knew differently.

I took the item back into the establishment. I tried to remain calm as I felt the reaction flaring up in my throat. I apologized for seeming too upset. They argued with me that there was still no peppers involved. He used a fork and looked inside the roll up to prove it. "It's not a physical chunk, it's in the cheese. Are you sure one of the cheeses isn't a pepper jack? Or a nacho cheese?". They assured me again that no, it isn't.
I smelled it, and you could smell green chili's clearly.
"Would you like us to refund this item?"
"Yes please, and I am telling you, there are peppers of some sort involved with this menu item, whether you think there is or not".

I took my handful of change and left.
Curiosity got the best of me, I looked it up on my phone in the car. My first try I found the ingredients of the Cheesy Roll Up: A flour tortilla with a 3 cheese blend, including pepper jack.


Nothing I didn't already know.

No comments: