Saturday, December 17, 2011

I Am Not Crazy, No Seriously, I'm Not

For years, YEARS, I have held to the belief that somehow, due to metabolism, or something weird, I can eat the same amount of food (or not eat it in this case) and not lose weight, or even gain weight while smaller women around me lose it. People, even friends, would look at me like I was crazy, or making excuses, or lying about what I ate.

I am a big woman. There is no denying it. I didn't get here only eating salads. But I wasn't lying or making excuses about this fact. I could eat the same amount of food as someone else and I would gain, and they wouldn't.

Guess what?
Dr. Kevin Hall of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases has discovered something. I found this article in the December 2011 Women's Health magazine. Forever everyone thought that a pound was worth 3,500 calories, either direction. His new research shows that number can vary. Especially interesting to me? Lean people gain less than obese people taking in the same amount of calories.

Read that last sentence again.Here, I'll say it a different way:
If you are already overweight it takes less extra calories to make a new pound. You can indeed gain weight more easily than a lean person.

I. AM. NOT. CRAZY.
(Or lying, or making excuses)

Tell a friend.


My solution to this problem?
Get Lean.
More on that Tuesday.

No comments: