Thursday, September 1, 2011

Must Not Touch

A close friend of mine had daughters flanking my own. She used to clean her mother's house long ago, and one day I was with her, her daughter being somewhere between 18 months and two years old. Grandma had a beautiful silver tea set, on a table, just in reach of say, a toddler. Little one's mother warned her, "Do not touch Grandma's tea set". She put her little hand down, briefly. Her resolve lasted only moments. Her little hand went back up to touch the shiny objects before her. She was warned again, this time more sternly and with a warning of a consequence. Her mama walked away to keep cleaning.I watched with fascination. You could nearly see her thoughts. She battled with herself over and over again, her hand still in the air. It was pure torment to not touch it, but she knew she was to obey her mother.

She fought hard, and in the end, she touched that tea set.
She couldn't say no to the temptation in front of her.

We all struggle, and we all have a moment when we give in.

May I make a suggestion?
Get rid of the temptation.

There might be something in a room, forever, that a kid won't even notice, until we say, "Don't ever touch that". Then, as if magnetically attracted, they can think of nothing else but to touch it.

Why set yourself up to battle it out?
Don't have it around, out of sight, eventually out of mind.
Replace it with solid prayer and praising instead. Good praise music can fight through those moments. The other thing? Simple vocal declarations that you will not agree with the enemy, you are strong enough, you have what it takes to say no!


"Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am". Philippians 4:13 The Message Bible

1 comment:

Tiffany @ MCK said...

Great post! I totally get what your talking about, but the post reminds me of the time my mom pointed out the slightly torn 70's style wallpaper in our guest bathroom and said... "Honey, you must not touch this, daddy and I are going to try and fix it. Don't touch it ok." Honestly, it wasn't even noticable to the eye... but when she walked out of the room, I totally went to town, ripping and tearing away like a I was on a demolition job.