Friday, November 5, 2010

5/5

Five wonderful things I am thankful for, and wouldn't want to live without:

No particular order...

1. Sense of smell. Sure, dead skunk and sour milk aren't so great to inhale, but what about baking bread, fresh clean laundry, crisp air after a good rain? Certain aromas can calm us like lavender (except if you are allergic, sorry B), or invigorate us, like cinnamon or citrus. And then there are pheromones...but this is a family blog so we won't get into that. Our world would be so different without it....including it's close tie in with...

2. Taste. For some it's chocolate, others, caramel, others coffee, or even peppermint. We love flavor. I have a friend that deciphers everything I cook, in a good way, trying to break down each ingredient or spice. On the flip side one current boyfriend is nearly taste budless due to chronic sinus infections, he must rely on texture alone in many cases. This leave much to be desired and the list of enjoyable foods very small.

3. Hearing. Even if you don't have it all intact, I am sure you are thankful for what you do hear. little ones laughter, and giggles, music, oh music, my loved ones voices, wind in the tree tops and even thunder.

4. Sight. I personally see with my eyes, there are some that see with all their other senses. They amaze me. Of all the senses one could lose I used to fear the loss of this one the most, because I feared what couldn't be seen. I am not fearful anymore.

5. Touch. Skin is our biggest organ. Our very core being needs human interaction through touch. There is healing in proper, positive touch. When my husband walks by me he reaches out and gently lets me know his love for my with a stroke across my hand or back.  It's reassuring, and I don't know about you, but I need that, and I am thankful to have it. I am thankful for the run and jump hugs from my 10 year old too, full of energy and abandon.

They all work together, and even if someone is missing part or all of one, the others jump in to balance it all out.  It is a grand design, ...which are you most thankful for, and why?

3 comments:

Missy Shell said...

Hmmm. Touch is a big one; I like what you said about it.

But of the other four, I'm most thankful for sight. I think I'd miss it the most if I lost it.

Sooz said...

hmmm, of the 5...I'm going to go with hearing. I think it could be quite lonely to not hear the sounds around you...

Thany said...

Thankful that I still have a lot of my hearing...and amazed how the other 4 senses step up to make up for what i have lost!