Thursday, June 24, 2010

Excuse Me, Can I Drive That For You?

I stopped in the grocery store on my way home from work the other day. I noticed a woman entering the store about the same time, an elderly woman. And when I write elderly, I mean it. I don't mean some woman that's 50.Good grief, the older I get the more I realize how old we aren't inside....but I digress, and that's a whole other post.

Anyway,old lady. She was having trouble getting around easily, she was obviously having trouble seeing, holding things at weird angles, super close sometimes. When I went to check out she was in front of me. The cashier scanned her few items and thethe lady handed he a credit card and asked the cashier to run it through the machine for her. I wasn't sure if she couldn't see it, or if the technology was beyond her. When it came time to sign her name the lady had to point it out and she leaned way down and after writing asked "Did I get it?". This transaction made my heart ache a little. I wished she could have a helper like some of my friends are to those in this community.

But I digress again.

This isn't a post about pity, but sheer terror.

I paid for my groceries and left, and walked by the old woman who struggled to see the line to sign her name,

AS SHE GOT INTO HER CAR TO DRIVE HERSELF HOME.





I wasn't sure what to do...
Call for help, hurry to my car and get out of there first?
Offer to drive her home...
but then I'd look like a creepy lunatic murderer that preys on old people...
"Excuse me Madame, may I drive you home?"

I was a total chicken and left. I could hardly process what might have been a better option. It's like seeing someone dealing with their kids in a way that's probably going to need therapy to fix later in life...sometimes our hands are tied, or our tongues.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that was my mother-in-law several years ago!
It was great seeing you and Aaron at MVCC and we miss you guys. Come again soon!
Linda W

Ginny said...

Wow! Maybe she just couldn't see up close? One can hope anyway. Sad though isn't it?

Thany said...

Yeeeeeikkkeeesss!!!