Friday, January 8, 2010

20 Years Ago

Twenty years ago today I was 39 1/2 weeks pregnant with twins and I called my OBGyn and kinda whined/freaked out on the phone to her nurse. If I recall I said something about a mucus plug and feeling icky but no contractions and stuff. That nurse was sensitive and frankly really intelligent. She knew this person on the phone well enough to know something wasn't right and she told me to come into the office, even though I had a stress test scheduled the next day. I arrived and went through the regular routine, scale, pee (maybe) and blood pressure, to which her response was , "Why don't you lie down for a minute in this calm room and I will take it again in a few minutes, K?"
So I did, and she did, and suddenly there were a lot of concerned people milling around and my Doctor asked who was with me that could take me to the hospital. Hmmmm, I guess my blood pressure was kinda high, or maybe really high....

That night I didn't sleep, not only because of the pending birth, but also because hospitals are so loud, and those beds that transform into birthing position were not refined yet. I was supposed to be induced at 6am, which turned to 8:20ish or so. I am only a fan of Pitocin because it helped get my babies out, however, it is hard core be ready to scream kinda stuff. Not my favorite.

Long story short, I progressed nicely and then started pushing just before 3pm, and kept pushing ...for 3 hours. At this point they wheeled me into a surgical room, "just in case" and suddenly there were 20 other people in the room. Two Doctors for me, two for the babies, and full staff of nurses for everyone. I wanted to laugh and say , "Hi everyone, welcome "...but I was busy trying to push to two kids out...
They arrived without surgical intervention at 6:06 and 6:25. Weighing in at 6# 1oz and 6# 3 oz respectably. Everyone was healthy.

My life has never been the same, and I am thankful.


Happy Birthday Alyssa and Jenelle, I love you.

1 comment:

Heather said...

What a wonderful story, and great pictures!!