Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Red Asphault

The road to Idaho, from my house, includes 4 states; California, Nevada, Oregon, and then of course, Idaho. During our brief encounter with Oregon Something odd happened. The pavement there was light in color, not blacktop. We rounded a curve and came across something in the road, like maybe a truck had dumped some red bark, or ground covering. I expected to feel it crunch under the tires. I heard, and felt, nothing, but the road became more and more intensely red, and then I smelled it....
My mind raced to find the scent in my memory banks, it was, "gutting fish", a very distinct, not unpleasant but odd smell.

Why was I smelling it now?
Why was the road pure red?
Why was the bark hopping!?!?!

Eeeewwwwwwwwww. We think it was little frogs, thousands of them. The road was solid red, and there was nothing we could do. The lead car in our caravan slowed down, but we couldn't just stop in the middle. We had to keep driving over them.
I have never seen anything like it. I hope I never have to drive through anything like it again.


:P

3 comments:

Lori said...

Bleck! That is so gross and sad. I totally feel for you.

Red Riding Hood said...

Wow! Did you feel like you were in old testament times?

Missy Shell said...

Oh my gosh! How did Spencer take it? Geez, of all of the families for this to happen to, why did it have to be the one with the most tender-hearted kid???