Friday, May 29, 2009

If You Want a "C"

Since my lovely hosts had been in California for the last week a shopping trip for groceries was in order. We left all 6 kids with the dad and left. We were a little joyfully silly. We loaded that cart to ridiculous heights. It was a fun "alone" excursion.

While there, a young woman was searching through the asian food sections and stopped us as we walked by;
"Excuse me, do either of you know anything about Thai food?"
"I do," I answered, "What do you need to know?"

"My sister has to turn in a project tomorrow and needs a sample of Thai food to share with the class."

Okay, so we have a conversation regarding what's available, what's Japanese and Chinese and what her true options are.
"So, could she just pour coconut into dixie cups and pass them out?"

Hmmm....I answered bluntly, "Sure, but only if you want a bad grade, that's obviously a cop-out."
She put her hand on her chest like I had stabbed her, "Wow that was honest."

I had to laugh a little. The sister in question is a Freshman, no, you can't just pass out a cup of cocnut milk.
I told her to mix the coconut milk with the Jasmine rice, or to use the rice with the bottled peanut sauce. She seemed relieved.

She thanked me for helping her, and being honest. It took little of my time to help someone out.
I just hope her sister gets a better grade because of it.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

One of the things I love about you, my friend! I can always count on you to be honest.