Wednesday, February 18, 2009

SAVE THE CHEESES!


I don't know about your family, but in mine, cheese disappears quickly. I'll buy cheese on sale or for a good price and then, when I need it for a recipe, it's gone. While it was used for lunch or breakfast, (beanadillas, omelettes, grilled cheese, etc.), it is still non-existent when I need it.
At least that's how it used to be.
Now when I arrive home I split the cheese and freeze some portions. I utilize the frozen cheese for my recipes. If the cheese is grated simply squeeze the bag a little to break apart. If it is a block of cheese it is easy to grate while frozen. I let it thaw if it is in the middle of something, but if it is on top I leave it frozen. This prevents it from over browning.
Works for me.
What works for you?

Check out all these other fabulous tips at Rocks In My Dryer.

4 comments:

P.S.He loves you.. said...

great idea I'm gonna try this out..because around here's it's the same way!

Cheesy pple I guess..;)

Thany said...

Brilliant!!

Missy Shell said...

That is an amazingly brilliant idea. We have the same problem in our house, cheese disappears. I'll have to try that...

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

I wondered how easy it was to grate frozen cheese. Now I know I can do it. Thanks for the tip and thanks for stopping by my blog!