Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Aaron



Back in 1986, a long , long time ago I know, I was barely 18, a freshman away at college, (well, maybe not "away" , both my parents worked there) and I really liked cute guys.

I admit it, I liked to flirt.

I met many interesting guys at college. I dated a few, got hurt by some, and was denied by others. I met Aaron late that fall semester. He was a Sophomore, still 17, and cute. He had a smile that could light up the room, and a laugh that filled it. He also had some cute friends....again "flirt". He was also a flirt, and he will admit it.

We didn't date.

I hung out with him and his friends. I was approached by a couple, but didn't seem right, so I said no. He would date some people, I dated a couple guys. Life goes on.

Eventually, maybe the next year, I was hanging around a lot more. Staying late in their on campus duplex. Aaron and I would snuggle on the sofa, watching old Star Trek (don't judge me)reruns while his room mate amazed us when he knew the episode name just by the opening credits.

We still weren't dating.

We were friends. Good friends, friends with sparks, but just friends. One night while watching Wild Wild West he turned to me and said, "You know, if we ever dated seriously, we'd end up married"
"Yep", I said casually back. And that was that.

I switched schools, he was in a serious dating relationship, and long story short I ended up married to someone else.
That didn't last, but before the end I had my twin daughters.

So, after a couple years of not communicating I called him to ask to help me move my stuff out of my marital house and away (9 hours by car), he agreed.

We stopped in San Fransisco on the way and talked for hours on the drive. Our friendship restored. We stayed friends for years, friends with sparks. One day he called me to come to a concert he was in, and when I got there he pointed out the pretty girl he wanted to ask out. Ouch. (He has since apologized). Time passed and he called and invited me to go to Cirque De Solei with him. As I got ready, as he picked me up, as he payed for dinner, and even during the show I wondered, "is this a date?". Finally, later that evening, me being me and all, I asked him and he said "Of course it is".
Oh....well good!

I'd love to say we dated , it got serious, and then we got married, but that isn't our story. We kinda dated, on and off. Something happened along the way, something was said that was painful, and we didn't talk for over a year and a half.

Then one fateful day I was switching address books and was checking all the numbers in my book. I called his pager/ voice mail number, it was still good, and I left a message...
and he called back later that night...
and we talked on the phone for hours and hours...
and 5 months later we got married, and it only took 121/2 years from when we originally met.

And I have never regretted it.


Ten years in April and still smiling.









For more love stories head over to Kristen's place

8 comments:

Leanne said...

Wow 12 1/2 years, it must have been worth the wait. Your wedding photograph is lovely.

Heather said...

Great story! And what a gorgeous picture; you two look fabulous!

Missy Shell said...

I love that you asked him if it was a date! I did the same thing with Andy - I asked him if we were a couple after our second date. :-)

Ginny said...

Aw man....what a great story! Love you guys and what's the saying? Anything worth waiting for is worth having?

We are THAT Family said...

What a great love story!
You are blessed!

inquisitivesensitive said...

i too did the same thing asking nick if our first hang out was a date lol. I love the story! Thanks for sharing!

jennifer said...

I love your love story! It's cool that he knew he could lose his heart and marry you from very early on.

And you were a beautiful bride.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I am a bit late in visiting via the SWAK carnival, but what a great post!