Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Why Fake It?




I love the smell of real pine, I do. I love living where I do now, God has blessed me with the Sierra mountain foothills and the pine trees therein. The whisper of the wind through the pines, the smell as the sun warms them, yes, it's lovely and delightful and fills my senses and makes my heart happy.

Unless that tree is dead and in my house.

Then a whole new set o things happens, it attacks my senses, offends my well being, terrorizes my sinuses, and by Christmas, I am sick. It happened several years in a row before I caught on,"Hey, maybe it's the dead tree in the room." We tried a fresh cut tree one time, that worked out a lot better, but eventually, I felt the same things happening.

Enter the fake tree.

I know, I know, FAKE...but seriously, when given a choice between being healthy on Christmas day and being miserable and sick, which would you choose? I want to enjoy the day, enjoy my hard work of finding gifts for my giant family, not sit in a stuper of medicine and wish I was asleep.

Then the environmentalist in me is happy too. I was always a little sad to think these poor growing LIVING trees were just chopped down and that's it, they are dead. Enjoyed for a month and cast out. No more oxygen making, no more bird nests, or whispering breezes. That's right, I speak for the trees, just a little. I am not going to chain myself to one, I am not going to judge you for having a real tree. I still love real trees. I am just torn on the whole idea.

For us it's also extremely economical. I bought our current tree during a massive 75% off sale after Christmas one year, It's price was equivalent to one big live tree, or perhaps 1 1/2 smaller ones...so it paid for itself by the next year.(These days it would be one standard tree) So I have that much more money to spend on presents each year, or for the electricity for the lights, because I am a light junkie on my tree. I love the lights. I make sure it looks good in just lights before adding anything else. It's also good during a lean year, like this year and last year, seriously, if we didn't have a fake tree, we wouldn't have one at all. It's also not the fire hazard of a real tree. We have lived in really dry climates, and tree fires do indeed happen.

This is just what works for me, what works for you?
Do you use a real tree or a fake one? Are you a purest? Do you judge others on what they have? (All you real tree people, I explained my problem, be nice). You can vote in a comment, but I'd love to know reasons too. Is it a fond memory? Allergies like me? Let me know.

For amazing, frugal, and fabulous ideas, and a lot of them...head over to Shannon's Dryer.

9 comments:

inquisitivesensitive said...

I grew up every year with a new, real tree. It was tradition to cut it down with the family. Now come to me getting married to Nick. He grew up with a fake tree, mostly because of his horrible allergies. We tried a real one last year (Ya know, went and cut down one that we picked out) and I saw just how bad his allergies were. Not to mention the fact that it cost us like 30 bucks for the most little, lopsided tree EVER. Check my blog posts in december of last year to see it. So, this year I finally surrendered and said we could get a fake tree, if I knew it would look good. On Black Friday we went to Home depot because I saw several sales on them, and lo and behold what did I find? A 7.5 foot prelit fake tree for 49.99! We put it up and I have to say it is beautiful. All other comprable ones (that in my opinion didn't look as good) were 350-400 dollars so I am stoked we got it for so cheap!

That is where I come from and where I now stand on the tree situation :D

marky said...

We have used a fake tree for 10 years b/c my daughter is severely allergic to pine.
However..this year we are going to try a real tree

MomOfDudes said...

I love my fake tree. Putting it up is so much more fun that our annual arguement over the straightness of the tree...

Mine is Massively pre lit cause I am a light junkie too.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

We have a fake tree. I use the Yankee Candle "Mistletoe" to still have the scent. I also stop by tree farms for any scrap clippings to tuck around the house. Saves trees and makes use of clippings.

Debbie said...

We have used both over the years. You make a good argument for fake ones!

SchuMom said...

We use a fake tree too, after growing up with live, fresh cut trees. Partly fire safety, partly allergies, partly economic reasons. Pine needle pricks leave my skin in burning, itching agony for hours, so tree decorating was never as much fun as it should have been with live trees. My vote goes for the fake tree!

The Muse said...

We use both...and I really thought I would never ever use artificial.
But, honestly they have such better designs now (than waaaaaaay back when) LOL....

I am all about trying to get a realistic, woodland feel to Christmas...
(and yet I still love to savor every Style!)

Anonymous said...

I was a die hard REAL tree person for many years. I liked the smell in the house and never thought the fake ones looked very realistic. Over the years my favorite type ( nobel fir) became very expensive and I started to dislike the yucky stagnent water smell by the time Christmas was finally here. I set out on a mission to find a REAL-LOOKING fake tree and after 2-3 years of looking I finally found one at costco. A 1500 white bulb pre-lit with hinged branches. It looks real-ish and I never worry about watering. Plus I can put it up the day after Thanksgiving with out the fear of brown needles or stink. I miss the pine smell though, so I buy a real wreath for the door and light candles. :-)
-Heather B.

Sooz said...

Living on the other, drier, side of those Sierras, we were really forced to get a fake tree. It is too hard to keep them from being fire hazards here. Plus my mom was getting rid of hers for lack of room. This is only my 2nd year in all my 40 with a fake tree. I don't miss the real one at all. And now we can use all those old lights outside!!