Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Teach Thankfulness


On Tuesdays for over half a year now I have been making Ten On Tuesday Thankful lists. (Carnival style if you are interested) We have circled around the alphabet and started with A again yesterday. I started thinking, this would be a great idea for kids. In fact one of my participants is a 2nd grade teacher and has the kids make lists sometimes.(Brilliant!)

Here is my idea, and this can work for non-readers or readers alike.

In Summer I always stock up on spiral bound notebooks when they are super cheap, in fact, this year I scored several 5 packs for 24 cents, you read that right, 5 notebooks, $.24! I took one and wrote in bold marker one letter of the alphabet for each two-page spread. My son then wrote,drew pictures of, or cut out photos from magazines of what he is thankful for and glues them in. You could add color copies of family photos too.
For younger kids it is an introduction to letter sounds, especially great for some 3 and most 4 year olds. For early readers this reinforces what they are learning. For older kids, even big kids, heck, adults, this is an exercise in realizing how much one has to be thankful for.

It's easy, fun, and helpful. Gratitude is a good thing. It is also something that kids like to look through repeatedly.It totally works for me, I hope it works for you too.

For more fabulous ideas head over to Shannon's dryer.

3 comments:

Misty said...

well... we homeschool, and as it stands- Genny has her character building lessons and gratitude journaling on Tuesday. this IS a great idea though, and I'm SOOOOOO doing it.

Heather said...

Great idea! It's always good to get kids focused on thankfulness.

When I taught, we also had a notebook for "Random Notes of Kindness," where once a week, kids would get assigned another student to write a note of kindness. At the end of the year, each student had a book full of notes from their classmates. Just another way to change kids' mindsets :)

marky said...

Gratitude is the object lesson in sunday school this month too!
great idea!