Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Cheap Dirt Catcher

My son LOVES to play outside. When he plays, he plays hard so we started having "yard shoes" to prevent his good shoes from getting ruined so quickly. He had cowboy boots last winter/rainy season and flip flops and old slide on tennis shoes for warmer, dryer weather. As with most kids across the world, dirt follows him back into the house. The yard shoes live by the back door. We have no fancy mud room, we live in a tiny (lovable) house. So I improvised, and I don't mean I bought something fancy from The Pottery Barn catalog, even though I'd like too. I used a simple cheap plastic place mat.
Yep, that's it, a place mat saves the carpet. I added one later to the wall, since he kinda kicks his shoes off and hits the wall making little dirt smudges. Easy to wipe clean, no need to launder like a rug, plus the space was much to small for that anyway. I have seasonal ones for Thanksgiving and Christmas as well as general ones that match the colors in my house. This happens to be the Spiderman set.


That's what works for me(us)
Need more ideas? Head over to Rock's In my Dryer.
Have a tip to share? Head over to Rock's In My Dryer.


5 comments:

Blue Castle said...

Clever! Great tip. :)

Deb said...

Genius! What a great idea. Dirt seems to come into my house through various entry points as well.

Pottery Barn has nothin' on you.

marky said...

Great Idea!

Misty said...

thats a great idea!

ames said...

We don't have a mud room either, so it's the kitchen or the living room that gets dirty. The yard shoes is brilliant! Now if I could only get everyone in the household, including the dogs, to join in...