Saturday, August 23, 2008

Parade?

I heard the sound of a fire engine, no big deal. The firehouse is just a few blocks away. Then I realized it was very close, so I looked out my window that overlooks the street. Sure enough, there it was, driving really, really slowly, and pulling on the siren slowly. I wondered if perhaps they were looking for an address nearby, then I heard screaming, I thought, "That must be where they need to go"...
Until I saw a pick up truck full of kids in soccer uniforms drive by, and then another, and another. Spencer and I ran out to our front steps and watched team after team in trucks, boats, trailers, and old fun fire wagons drive by. They were yelling their team names, holding signs and banners, waving. It was a little weird, but fun. We waved, I yelled at one kid to sit down in the back of a truck (one little touch on the brake and that kid would have been on the pavement). I am sure they were on there way into the field area with parents waiting to cheer them on. But for us it was a lazy Saturday treat.

6 comments:

Jenello said...

you should start hosting random parades all over town , if only we had a fire engine and a lot of children, too bad we werent raised mormon

Thany said...

This brings me great joy.

lucysd13 said...

you get a fire engine if you're mormon? i am in the wrong religion...

marky said...

That is funny.. I did that a few years ago at Christmas time. Santa was on the fire engine going through the neighborhood giving kids candy canes. I thought we had a fire VERY close by.. till I saw Santa ;-)

Amy said...

Oh what fun! We used to do that back in the day.. ahh small town life.

Dena said...

the joys of small town living. we have that during halloween, hayrides down our street with kids begging for candy. too fun.