Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Giant Spoon Full of Laughter



One fall day, over 8 years ago, I was walking the isles in a dollar store. Well technically it was a 99cent store back then. The visit to the store was with my friend Thany, and it wasn't a normal outing. She was keeping me from the depths of depression over losing a baby to miscarriage a couple weeks before.

We wandered, making fun at the odd items that often show up in such places. I moseyed through the knick knack isle and saw him, the duck. This happens to be an excellent photograph of the duck, because Thany is an excellent photographer. This duck's bill is enormous for it's head size, you'll just have to trust me. It made me laugh, it made me laugh out loud, right there, in the middle of the store. I didn't care who heard me, I didn't care who saw me, by golly, that duck made me laugh, and it felt good. Thany eventually found me by following the loud disruption. She took one look and started laughing as well, partially, I am sure, just because I couldn't stop.

We, being who we are, came up with scenarios of where the duck might be from, or where he is going, but more importantly, what he might be saying through that beautiful giant bill of his. Imagining him saying "PILLOW" made my laughter go silent, the kind where breathing stops and your body shakes. Tears streamed down my cheeks, sorrow was replaced by silliness and joy, right there, in the middle of a dollar store.

The duck was of course purchased and has spent his time showing up randomly at our houses. One time in a cupboard, another in the trunk of a car, another in a box in the pantry. I wrapped it up a few years later in a BabyGap box and presented him at her first baby shower, she screamed with delight and slight jealousy that I had surprised her so well. Most women in the room didn't understand, but we did, and that's all that matters.

This duck represents a breaking away from pain and embracing joy. It represents our friendship, and frankly our sneakiness and brilliance to get it into the other ones home.

Laughter is healing, and that's what works for me.


For other Works For Me ideas check out Rocks In my Dryer

4 comments:

Thany said...

pillow

Lori said...

That is awesome! I am so glad that Bethany the Great and a duck were able to cheer you up so well.

My brother and I have a thing called Pumpkin Head that we pass back and forth. He had me convinced for years that I had lost it. And then, this Christmas, I unwrapped Pumpkin Head.

MomOfDudes said...

My brother and I have the palmolive hand. Once we were sitting at the table and the dish soap was on the counter, he caught me trying to make my hand configure the same as the palmolive hand and we started laughing. Now all we have to do is move our hand a little and we are rolling.

Love ya
Troysie

Tooz said...

Reminds me of "the Christmas goose" my mom and I shared for years. Thanks for the memory!